You might be nervous about baking with black beans, but don’t be–they have a very mild flavor and are extremely rich, creamy, and full of protein. Black bean brownies are a delicious and nutritious twist to a traditional chocolate brownie. You can also boost the flavor of your brownie with essential oils such as Peppermint, Wild Orange, Cinnamon, or even Lavender.
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, and rinsed
1/2 cup of applesauce
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut oil
½ teaspoon baking powder
1/3 instant quick oats
Pinch of salt
4 drops Peppermint essential oil (I can hook you up with the best essential oils available )
¾ cup chocolate chips, divided. (Enjoy Life makes a nice dairy-free and allergy friendly option)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place all ingredients, except for chocolate chips, in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Pour batter into large bowl and stir in ½ cup chocolate chips.
4. Pour into greased 8×8-inch pan and top with ¼ cup chocolate chips.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool and cut into pieces. Store in refrigerator.
Enjoy! Please let me know if you have any other recipes that you use essential oils in. I would love to try them out, and I’ll be sure to give you a shout out on the blog.